Wemix CEO Denies Covering Up $6M Bridge Hack, Cites Security Concerns for Delay
Wemix Foundation CEO Kim Seok-hwan has refuted claims that the company attempted to hide a security breach that led to losses exceeding $6 million.
Wemix Foundation CEO Kim Seok-hwan has refuted claims that the company attempted to hide a security breach that led to losses exceeding $6 million.
In a press conference , Kim acknowledged the delayed disclosure but insisted it was a strategic decision to prevent further attacks and market panic.
The incident on February 28 saw hackers withdraw over 8.6 million WEMIX tokens from the platform’s Play Bridge Vault—a system facilitating cross-chain transfers. However, Wemix only issued an official statement four days later, drawing criticism from the public.
Kim explained that the attackers exploited a stolen authentication key from Nile, the company’s NFT platform. The breach allowed them to manipulate the system for two months before initiating a series of unauthorized withdrawals. While the hackers attempted 15 transactions, 13 were successful, with the stolen tokens later sold on exchanges outside South Korea.
Upon detecting the breach, Wemix swiftly shut down its servers and launched an internal investigation. The company also filed a formal complaint with the Cyber Investigation Team of the Seoul National Police Agency, which has since begun probing the case.
Kim defended the decision to withhold immediate disclosure, stating that announcing the hack prematurely could have exposed them to additional security risks. He also noted that the market had already absorbed the impact of the stolen assets and feared that a rushed announcement might have triggered further panic selling.
Addressing investors, Kim took full responsibility for the delayed disclosure, apologizing for any concerns it may have caused. He emphasized that the decision was his own and assured stakeholders that Wemix remains committed to strengthening its security measures.
Meanwhile, Christian Li, founder of stablecoin digital bank Infini, contacted the hacker responsible for stealing $49.5 million from the company’s wallets again. Li offered a white-hat agreement, proposing that the hacker return the stolen funds and keep 20% as a bounty, with no legal consequences.
If you want to read more news articles like this, visit DeFi Planet and follow us on Twitter , LinkedIn , Facebook , Instagram , and CoinMarketCap Community.
“Take control of your crypto portfolio with MARKETS PRO, DeFi Planet’s suite of analytics tools.”
Disclaimer: The content of this article solely reflects the author's opinion and does not represent the platform in any capacity. This article is not intended to serve as a reference for making investment decisions.
You may also like
Honda prepares to send its hydrogen tech to space
Share link:In this post: Honda is working with Sierra Space and Tec-Masters, two space technology companies, to try their high-differential pressure water electrolysis system. Honda aims for hydrogen to help it get all of its cars off carbon by 2040. Honda says it will work with NASA to get the equipment to the ISS on Sierra Space’s Dream Chaser space plane.
ETH just had lowest quarterly return since Q2 2022: Blockworks Research
The network is at a “pivotal juncture,” Blockworks Research’s Marc-Thomas Arjoon said

Riot Platforms Hits Post-Halving Bitcoin Production High as It Expands AI Capacity
Solana Price Pattern Points to a 65% Surge as Key Metric Beats Ethereum by Far
Trending news
MoreCrypto prices
More








